Saturday, January 23, 2010

Homeschool parents, Do you think that parents should choose their child's marriage partner?

I've now met two women who homeschool their kids, who tell me they feel that they and their spouse should choose their future children's spouse. They feel that they are in the best situation to know what is best for their children.





It seems like these parents are trying to control even what happens to them as adults and not allow their children to have the right to make any decisions for themselves.





What do you think about this?Homeschool parents, Do you think that parents should choose their child's marriage partner?
We home-school and have heard a number of folks say the same thing.





Some folks are likely trying to influence and control their kids lives. I will also say that I know one married couple who were arranged, if you will, and now are doing the same with their kids.





I won't even attempt it. I remember my mom always trying to set me up with this gal and that gal - I still shiver thinking about it. Not that this gal and that gal weren't everything my mom said that they were, but the idea that my mom would set me up was just too revolting for some reason. With this in mind, I'd never do this to my kids.





I don't agree with other parents doing this either, but will defend those folks who have come from communities which have heavily influenced their children's spouses over the years - although I don't agree with them either.


-------------





Edit: I followed Bobby Bonsai over here - how you doin Bobby? Happy New Year everybody!Homeschool parents, Do you think that parents should choose their child's marriage partner?
Little children should not marry....LOL





Seriously,instead of choosing a suitable future mate for their child,a responsible parent should rather concentrate on teaching the child, ';how';.. to choose.





(((sEaRcHeR)))) (((Super Bobo))
Wow. I homeschooled for 3 years because of my hubby's job but never felt that way. I could barely tell them what TV shows they were allowed to watch. :-)
Are you kidding!! What era and culture do these people think they live in!





i feel so sorry for kids whose parents wrap them in cotton wool and provide them with no opportunities to learn lifes lesson on their own terms.
I think that is nuts





I know some people homeschool very well.. but I also know some who dont..





I recently watched a TV show called JESUS CAMP.. it was scarey - they showed kids being brainwashed for Churh Purposes and showed the statistic that 75% of homeschooled kids in USA are Evangelical Christians.. and showed a clip of a mom ';homeschooling'; her son.. it was hillarious (sad).. I was in shock at what she was teaching him...





at one point they discussed ';Global Warming and pollution'; and mom said they dont need to worry about it because Jesus is coming to save every one soon so it wont matter...





my eyes nearly popped out.. and now you are saying they want to arrange their kids marriage...





omg talk about control freaks!!! these kids are so sheltered from the world and now that?? and their parents are the only authoritity figures they know..





disgusting!
OMG! I really have no idea why some parents are so controlling. I certainly would not have wanted my parents to pick my mate. I met some of the ';nice boys'; my mother tried to push on me as it was! Yuck and double Yuck!
I don't feel that a parent should ever choose the life partner their child will be living with. I know in a lot of cultures it is tradition, but I believe firmly that every person has the right to choose the person they love.
I think that this is a made up question. I am a home schooled teen, who is now in college. I have met thousands of other home schooling families from across the nation and never once heard of this before. it was very common 2000+ years ago, but not at all today, unless you live in some 3rd world country.
well, in some cultures that is a tradition. to each his own I guess...that would not have worked for me and it probably doesn't work for everyone.
A child should be allowed to to choose it's wife or husband in life it's their right
I think not that is just to controlling and the kids got to be able to fly on their own two feet, and how will the kids make their own decisions their parents make all the decisions from what outfits to their spouse will make very dependent kids. or they will freak out of control when they are free
We homeschool and with the hundreds (I do mean hundreds -I work at the local convention) of homeschool families I've met, I've never met any that want to pick their children's spouses.
No. The decision should be left up to their child. In the end more then likely the child once old enough to leave the house at the age of 18 will probably try to get as far away as possible and never want to have anything to do with their parents if they are that controlling.
i know you are asking homeschool parents but i was homeschooled and i know my mom would like to pick my partner but my dad only wants to see me happy, however its alittle difficult now since i'm with child. i believe that they feel that since they homeschooled their kids, the kids wouldn't be able to make an ';educated'; decision concerning thier spouse and that they are parents would be able to make a better decision (alittle old fastioned but alot of religions in the US still do this today)
That ain't right!

No comments:

Post a Comment