Friday, January 15, 2010

When is it too early to be thinking about marriage?

My boyfriend and I are both 19 years old. We have been together for more than 6 months and the subject came up about marriage. We were thinking of maybe moving in together next year before marriage to see if we could even stand to live with each other. I'm wondering if it it is too early to even to be thinking about moving in together or even about marriage because we are both so young. Please help!When is it too early to be thinking about marriage?
I dont even have to read the whole thing to say YES YOU ARE TOO YOUNG!!!When is it too early to be thinking about marriage?
My boyfriend and I moved in together after 6 months of dating and I was 18 when we did that. We have been living together for close to a year now and I can honestly say that is the best choice I have made in our relationship. Not only did we find each others flaws early on in our relationship, we found out that we can adapt to each other, which in my opinion is far more than a lot of couples can say nowadays. So number one, no you are not too young if you are really serious about him and your relationship together, and number two it would probably be a good idea to see if you are compatible living together. Its a good way to see if you ARE actually meant for each other.
Take the advice people are giving you here, don't just read it and toss it out of your mind. You two are really way young to get married. I don't think you should even consider living together to begin with. Once you move in there really might not be a wedding later, you will get used to the fact that there is no need for a paper saying you are married, you will end up separating after the first major fight. You're best waiting a few years. It doesn't even seem like you have dated him long enough to be completely sure he is the one you want to share a lifetime with. Please wait. I always think.......marriage is hopefully forever, so why not wait if you are still going to be loving each other for that long, be it true love.
FYI, one risk factor for divorce is living together before marriage. I'm not saying its right or wrong to live together, but it statistically heightens the chances of divorce. The theory is that if you have to have a ';trial period'; before the marriage (instead of just ';knowing';) that might be a sign that you aren't really sure they're ';the one.';
its too early if you have not gotten an education to secure yourself financially... if you have not accomplished that then your marriage survival will be lower, because economic problems often devastate relationships.... i have been with my bf since i was 16.. i am 20 now and we love eachother to death, but both know that we have to make something of ourselves before we take the next step... dont get me wrong i'd love to move it now... but i know that it would be expensive and not a good idea when we both have goals and ambitions to fulfill. good luck on your choice.. and remember as a woman now-a-days... make sure you dont have to depend on anyone EVER in your life... education is independence, just in case things get rough in the long rung, you can fall back on your knowledge, and NO ONE can ever take that away.





:)
I moved in with my boyfriend at 19 %26amp; we broke up when I was 22. I think living together was the best thing we could have done because I learned enough to know not to marry him. I have no problem with couples living together first as long as you are both self supporting so that if something goes wrong you can both easily leave %26amp; start over. There's nothing worse than being trapped in a living situation you want to get out of. It's good that you're planning ahead instead of just doing it now at 6 months. Best of luck.
I am an advocate that young people should not get married before they are 25--and yes, its because I've lived it and I've seen it happen more times than not! I got married just before my 21st birthday...dated him for 3 Years before we got married, and it just didn't work out. We really tried, but we started having problems shortly after one year of marriage. To make a long story short, we BOTH went through many changes in our early 20's and by time we were in our mid-20's, we were heading in different directions.





I will add that I lived with Hubby #2 for 10-years successfully before we got married--and then it only lasted 8 months. So don't be under the impression that you can have more commitment by being married. I had way more commitment from him during those 10 years than those short 8 months.





What I am saying is that you don't need to rush anything...take it at your own speed, and let the relationship develop. You'll have plenty of time for weddings, homes, babies, etc.
This is not too young to be THINKING about it, but I think you have at least 2-3 years before I think you should consider actually doing it.





Moving in together at your age is a disaster waiting to happen. 95% chance that by the time you are 30 you are no longer together is my bet, even if you have kids or get married later.





I hope I'm wrong, but I really think you are going at this the wrong way.
are you kidding me? you've been together 6 months. you don't even know you could stand living together and you're talking about marriage.





hello, mcfly. this is MARRIAGE you're talking about. not a weekend camping trip.





take my advise DON'T move in together and don't get married. You only think about that kind of stuff when you know someone well enough to LOVE them and accept ALL their faults. you take the good, the bad and the ugly. At that point you shouldn't be worried about wheither you can ';stand being together';. you would have already made that deciesion.





you get to that point by DATING and getting to know them.





now try going to get an ice cream.
If you're wondering, you seem a little unsure,





look out for insecurities, those are red flags.





6 months is a short time, but it could work.





I think you should pend it out,





and in about another 6 months, see where you're at,





Go old-school and get married first... n_n





you're a girl, i'm a girl,





follow your instinct, but make the right decision.





Talking to older people will help too.
My Story: I was 19 when we met and he was 20. We started dating in April, were engaged in June and married in September. We knew each other for a total of six months (to the day) when we got married. We're about to celebrate our 2nd anniversary and our we're still at great as ever. We even managed to make it through a 15 month deployment and become parents and are still going strong. I don't think there's an age that's ';too young'; or a time together that's ';too short';...it all depends on the couple.
In my opinion you're too young and it's too soon.





People get married much too fast before they've had a chance to see what life really has to offer.





Think about this for 5 minutes.....get married at 20, til death do us part.





People are living to be 90 years old now.....so you're going to be married to the same person for the next 70 years!!!!!!!!!!





That's a big bite to chew sweetheart....think about it seriously.
too early --- I did this with my 1st husband - i'm now divorced - but, I felt a need to stay there since I made this big decision right away - just wait - if its meant to be - it will last a long time - and then talk about marriage-
Hmm, known each other for six months! After you discover the ';real'; him. This applies to you too.
It is too early when you have to ask if it is too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment