Friday, January 15, 2010

Ladies do you find it unfair that the wife last name gets taken away after marriage?

Yet the husband gets to keep his last name.Ladies do you find it unfair that the wife last name gets taken away after marriage?
No, you are supposed to be one unit. This means someone has to take somone's name. We have decided this to be the man's. It was a way of determining paternity before paternity tests.Ladies do you find it unfair that the wife last name gets taken away after marriage?
My last name wasn't taken from me. I freely gave it away as a sign of being united with my husband.





These days it's not a requirement for a woman to change her last name after marriage. If she doesn't wish to do so then she doesn't have to.


Some men are even opting to take their wives last names although it's obviously far less common.





Things change over time.
Women are not obliged to change their name on marriage if they do not wish to. I have always been slightly schizophrenic on this subject, I use my maiden name for some things and my married name for others. This sometimes confuses people, but as i have not the slightest objection to confusing people this does not bother me.
It all balances out.





I find it's unfair that the guy has to be the one to propose, buy the rings, and traditionally pays for most everything and provide most everything. If he has to do all that, the least she could do is take his last name (without complaining).
It's not exactly taken from me, but I can't honestly say that I'm wild about my last name changing. Despite that lots of people are non-traditional, I've never heard that a man took his wife's last name not once.





I bet if I hyphened my last name, it would complicate things for me.
Haha good question. I love my last name, but I would be willing to accept the change for the person I marry. I do wish there were more choices...but the entire ceremony of marriage is based on traditional values so I doubt that it would change easily.
Yes, especially since I'm the last of the line in my family. I have no brothers and since my parents were only children, I don't have any close relatives with that name either.
I never liked the idea but if she wants to keep just use a hyphen between her maiden name and yours
Not really. Our kids have his surname and I was proud to have his surname too.


But each to their own.
I thinks it's tradition, but to some it implies ownership.
Well I heard that now the man can take the woman's last name. I wonder if I would like that...
Why would they?
no i dont think i would mind

No comments:

Post a Comment